Functional Skills Camp Assistants
TradeWinds Services, Inc, located in Merrillville, IN, is seeking Functional Skills Camp Assistants. As part of a training team, assistants are responsible for supervising and caring for children enrolled in the Functional Skills camp, ages 13 to 18 years with mild to moderate intellectual disabilities. The assistants will help with planning and implementing the curriculum per TradeWinds Services. This position requires active participation with the children, their families, other members of the teaching team, and community partners to assess and address the needs of individual children.
Camp will begin in early June and run through mid-August; applications should be submitted online by April 30th in order to complete necessary paperwork and training by end of May.
- Assisting with meals and snacks
- Assistance/guidance with self-help skills
- Providing appropriate skill training activities
- Following through on recommendations of lead staff
- Assistance with material/environmental modifications
- Driving bus to sites (if 21 years of age or older)
- Supervision of students on-site, in vehicles, and off-site
- Recording information required by state/TradeWinds regarding attendance, meals, medication, billing, etc.
- Completing Incident reports
- Recording skill progress, earned wages
- Meetings with parents and/or department staff regarding individual cases, general programming
- Meeting with vendors in the community or on-site
- Sanitizing and cleaning room and contents according to protocol
- Stocking supplies in room and notifying supervisor when items are low
- Identifying and reporting needs and repairs, in-room and vehicles
- May need to attend Saturday or after work hour training as required by TradeWinds
- Must be trained in CPR/First Aid
- Report to camp lead
- Assist with planning and implementing in house activities
- Redirect inappropriate and/or negative behaviors
- Keep classroom organized
- Adhere to 460IAC and all other regulations
Education: High School Education. Must be at least 21 years of age to drive vehicles possess a current valid driver’s license and vehicle insurance, no suspensions within a 3-year period.
Experience: Experience with school-age children, school-based settings, and/or special needs populations (preferred)
- Must have good organizational skills and have the ability to prioritize projects or assignments.
- Must be alert at all times and have the ability to work with children, team members, and community vendors.
- Must be able to react quickly and know what to do or who to contact in emergencies.
- Must be able to work with children identified with special needs in a positive manner, and must be familiar with stress management and conflict resolution techniques.
- Must be able to tolerate a high degree of stress at times, and have the physical and emotional stamina to respond quickly, appropriately, and effectively to emergency situations.
- Must be able to function independently in order to accomplish position requirements, referring unusual problems to supervisor.
- Must protect the rights of persons served.
- Must protect the persons served from abuse and neglect.
- Must be understanding of and willing to work with a diverse group of children that TradeWinds serves.
- Must keep client consumer information confidential.
- Must assist with keeping the bus/van clean
- Provide balance assist, transfer assist to adolescent age children.
- Crouching, crawling, bending, and climbing.
- Must be able to work with children with special needs in a positive manner, and must be familiar with stress management and conflict resolution techniques. Must be able to tolerate a high degree of stress, and have the physical agility and emotional stamina to respond quickly, appropriately, and effectively to emergency situations.
- Day shift (hours may vary)
- Exposure to infectious diseases, aggressive children, biting, scratching, and body fluids
- Classroom environment (inside and outside except when the severity of the weather poses a safety hazard or the wind-chill temperature is below twenty-five degrees Fahrenheit.)
Other Requirements: Must be able to comply with pre-hire requirements such as a background check, drug & TB test, ability to present a positive image of the organization to members of the community.
Applicants should apply online by April 30, 2021.Please complete online job application and submit resume to
TradeWinds is an Equal Opportunity & Affirmative Action employer. TradeWinds does not discriminate with regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, citizenship, national origin, disability, genetics, medical condition, sexual orientation, marital status, military status, or any federal, state, or local anti-discrimination laws.