*Based out of Merrillville, IN
This is a full-time position. Department hours are Monday-Friday 8:00-5:00.
Act as the Auditor In-Charge for one or more audits with one or more staff auditors assigned.
Summary: Execute and/or lead audits in all areas of the bank and provide information as to the results of audits performed. Responsible for the independent accomplishment of work assignments. Receive minimal guidance as needed on significant problems encountered in the audit.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform audit fieldwork in accordance with generally accepted auditing standards.
- Assess risk in area before planning the audit. Remain independent and objective throughout the audit and obtain sufficient matter through observation, testing, analysis, and inquiry to support conclusions.
- Assist audit management with special projects.
- Keep abreast of banking, auditing, accounting and regulatory compliance trends and techniques through continued self-education by attending and participating in available formal programs and seminars.
- Assist the external auditors, FDIC, and Indiana Department of Financial Institutions in their audits and examinations by responding to requests and providing workpapers that are sufficiently documented to meet professional standards.
- Assist in planning work to be accomplished by audits and setting priorities.
- Create and distribute FDICIA documents to management as well as coordinate testing.
- Provide technical guidance in developing the plan for each audit and performing the field work.
- Assist with creating more continuous auditing throughout the department.
- Monitor the conduct of audits to assure that time budgets are met.
- Recommend changes in scope of audit and resulting adjustments in budget.
- Participate in recruitment, selection, and training of staff.
- Evaluate areas requiring special attention by management, including patterns of deficiencies and sensitive matters.
- Resolve problems and mediate conflict encountered during audits and determine appropriate solutions; promote teamwork.
- Develop and implement training.
- Evaluate and test the effectiveness of internal controls throughout the bank.
- Conduct planning and closing meetings with management on audits and audit results.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Auditor.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of accounting principles, laws and regulations, bank operations and policies.
- Knowledge of Internal Audit Standards.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and bank system applications.
- Ability to work independently as well as with all levels of associates.
- Ability to learn new information quickly.
- Ability to communicate effectively with others (both written and verbally).
- Ability to maintain confidentiality in all aspects of the job.
- Ability to analyze and interpret data as well as regulatory laws and regulations.
- Ability to multi-task and work under time constraints.
- Ability to follow work programs and directions.
- Ability to organize and manage projects of various sizes.
- Undergraduate Major in Accounting or Finance; Business Major or other relevant degree.
- Understanding of the banking industry and bank operations.
- At least 3 years of auditing experience.
- Proficient using Microsoft Office Word, Excel, Outlook and bank systems.
- Professional certifications are a plus.